Copyright © All rights reserved. Made By Serif.  Terms of use  |  Privacy policy


  Wanderlust Home and Pet Care

6/3/15 We caught a taxi into the Big Apple to our “Wimdu” apartment. We decided they had gone to lunch and check-in wasn’t until 3 pm. We had a wonderful baby-back rib lunch at Dallas BBQ and then hung out at a satellite office of the New York Public Library. At 3 pm I walk back to our check-in spot and no one answered the buzzer. Luckily someone came out so I could go in.  No Alex and No Ideal Oasis. I borrowed a phone. They said they had canceled our reservation - Great! They didn’t have another apartment for us to use. OK, so I found a place - the Wall Street Inn via Expedia.  The hotel is very nice and the surrounding area is great, many historical buildings, many restaurants, and close to the several subway stations.

6/4/15 First goal was to purchase new shoes for Gary. Check! We then walked down Madison Avenue past the St Patrick’s Cathedral which was getting a face lift. It was looking so beautiful. Then on to Rockefeller Center, watched a taping of Access Hollywood and then on to Grand Central Station where we had lunch at the Oyster Bar. Gary ordered the Seafood Medley platter - what else would you expect? After lunch we walked to the main New York Library. The main reading room which is always pictured in movies was under renovation but we did see the map room. Such a lovely building! West of the library was Bryant Park. It was jammed pack full of people. Our final stop was the Gershwin Theater for tickets. Very full day.

6/5/15  The only thing on the agenda was the National History Museum. Hooray, 60+ years old got a discount on the admission. The Planetarium and the 3D IMAX show were the best parts of the day. OK, the dinosaurs were pretty cool too!

6/6/15  We checked out the Saturday Farmers Market at Union Square. We bought smoked duck breast and aged cheese for breakfast. The hotel only provides a continental breakfast which isn’t on our diet. We found our way to Eddie Bauer to purchase two new shirts for Gary. He has lost weight and I have to have him around to try new items. We then walked across town to the Highline. The train used to run on elevated tracks but trucks have replaced the train deliveries. As you can see from the picture, people were really enjoying the renovated track line.

6/7/15  The morning was spent walking along the water’s edge to Battery Park. Half way through the park we made a right turn and walked to the Twin Towers Memorial. We then headed back to the hotel to change for lunch at a recommended restaurant, Marseilles at 44th & 9th. We had a lovely lunch which included my dessert of assorted cookies - yummy! Yes, I cheated! The waitress wasn’t as prompt as she had been during the rush of lunch so we had to make a mad dash for the Gershwin Theater to see the musical, Wicked, which we enjoyed.  

6/8/15 Central Park and the Zoo.  The zoo was just large enough. After all the walking the last few days, my feet couldn’t handle a full day. By 1:30 pm we were back at the hotel and had decided to have lunch at one of the local restaurant we could see from our window. We selected the Smokehouse 66 and had a great lunch. The big surprise was my drink made with Fireball Whiskey, Amaretto and Hard Cider. It was like a liquid Jolly Rancher Fire Stick - delicious.

6/9/15 We had a late flight so we spent the morning walking along the water’s edge toward Brooklyn Bridge, then cut over to City Hall. I am continually amazed at the beautiful buildings in the city. I must remember to take an architecture tour the next time I am in town.   

We took the subway to Howard Beach and then transferred to the AirTrain to get to JFK. The 7 day metro card was worth every penny we paid for it. Hopefully it won’t be another 18 years before we come back to NYC.